Saturday, February 11, 2012

Homemade Powdered Laundry Detergent

I read a lot of articles and webpages about making your own laundry detergent in lieu of buying commercial-made laundry detergent. I'm a pretty skeptical person, so I highly doubted that something made in my kitchen could work as well as the products that I have used my whole life. But, after seeing how cheap it was to make, I figured that I had nothing to lose. So off to the store I went to gather everything I needed.

Seriously, making your own laundry couldn't be easier. And it takes all of about 5 minutes of your time to make. You'll be shocked, I promise.

What You'll Need:

1 bar Fels-Naptha Laundry Soap
Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
Borax
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (optional)

How To Make:

1. Using an everyday kitchen grater or microplane, grate the entire bar of Fels-Naptha.

 
 2. Add 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Washing Soda and 2/3 cup of Baking Soda (optional). Stir well to combine.


3. Add 1T - 3T of powder to each load, depending on how dirty your clothes are.

4. Enjoy extremely clean, fantastic smelling laundry for months.

Seriously, that's it. Two steps, and you're done. Three steps, if you count adding to your washer.


For the sake of science, I decided to test this mixture on a load of sheets. I figured that replacing sheets would be a lot easier than replacing clothing. So, with butterflies in my stomach, I started the washer & added the powder. (This is highly recommended, as this mixture doesn't usually fully dissolve so adding it on top of the clothes isn't the best option.) I added the sheets to the washer, then filled my Downy Ball with my Homemade Fabric Softener (click the link for the recipe).

When the washer was done, I opened the lid and was fully prepared to be disappointed. Boy, was I wrong! The smell alone was amazing. So clean! I moved them to the dryer, and ran them through. When they were nice & dry, I took them out & took a big sniff. They smell amazing. Plain & simple. Almost as though they were hanging on a clothes line in the country all day long. And that amazing Homemade Fabric Softener made these sheets feel like cashmere.

Positively amazing.


Price Breakdown
Borax - $3.49 (makes 7 batches)
Washing Soda - $2.99 (makes 7 batches)
Baking Soda - $2.16 (makes 7 batches)
Fels-Naptha - $0.99 (1 bar per batch)

Per Bath Price
Borax                 $0.49
Washing Soda    $0.42
Baking Soda      $0.30
Fels-Naptha      $0.99
                        $2.20 per batch

This batch will last 2-3 months, depending on how much you use per load. Seriously, who doesn't LOVE saving money?

No comments:

Post a Comment